- •Non-pharmacologic innovations are needed to address poorly managed pain and opioid withdrawal symptoms.
- •Two consecutive days of hyperbaric oxygen therapy in 90 minute sessions showed promising trends in improving pain, drug craving, and reported withdrawal symptoms compared to a sham condition.
- •The sham condition was sufficiently believable and can be used in a future fully-powered trial.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Pain Management Nursing
- Psychometric properties of the adjective rating scale for withdrawal across treatment groups, gender, and over time.Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment. 2014; 46: 251-256
- Medication treatment of opioid use disorder.Biological Psychiatry. 2020; 87: 82-88
- Side effects of hyperbaric oxygen therapy.Undersea & Hyperbaric Medicine. 2014; 41: 253-257
- Hyperbaric oxygen attenuates withdrawal symptoms by regulating monoaminergic neurotransmitters and NO signaling pathway at nucleus accumbens in morphine-dependent rats.Neurochemistry Research. 2018; 43: 531-539
- Hyperbaric programs in the United States: Locations and capabilities of treating decompression sickness, arterial gas embolisms, and acute carbon monoxide poisoning: survey results.Undersea & Hyperbaric Medicine. 2016; 43: 29-43
- The prescription opioid epidemic: A review of qualitative studies on the progression from initial use to abuse.Dialogues in Clinical Neuroscience. 2017; 19: 259-269
- Establishing a common metric for self-reported pain: Linking BPI Pain Interference and SF-36 Bodily Pain Subscale scores to the PROMIS Pain Interference metric.Quality of Life Research. 2015; 24: 2305-2318
- International stakeholder community of pain experts and leaders call for an urgent action on forced opioid tapering.Pain Medicine. 2019; 20: 429-433
- An overview of the qualitative descriptive design within nursing research.Journal of Research in Nursing: JRN. 2020; 25: 443-455
- Factors associated with early and later dropout from methadone maintenance treatment in specialist addiction clinics: a 6-year cohort study using proportional hazards frailty models for recurrent treatment episodes.Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 2021; 219108466
- Interpreting the clinical importance of treatment outcomes in chronic pain clinical trials: IMMPACT recommendations.Journal of Pain. 2008; 9: 105-121
- [Hyperbaric oxygenation in the treatment of patients with drug addiction, narcotic addiction and alcoholism in the post-intoxication and abstinence periods] (article in Russian).Anesteziol Reanimatol. 1995; : 34-39
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy: Contraindications and complications.Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 1992; 50: 1081-1086
- Pain, opioids, and suicide mortality in the United States.Annals of Internal Medicine. 2018; 169: 498-499
- A primary care healthy choices intervention program for overweight and obese school-age children and their parents.Journal of Pediatric Health Care. 2012; 26: 126-138
- Alpha2-adrenergic agonists for the reduction or discontinuation of opioids or opioid substitution therapy: A review of clinical effectiveness and guidelines [Internet].Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health, Ottawa (ON)2018 (2018 Feb 23. Available from)
- A systematic review of the pain scales in adults: Which to use?.American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2018; 36: 707-714
- Craving and opioid use disorder: A scoping review.Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 2019; 205107639
- Neuroinflammation in addiction: A review of neuroimaging studies and potential immunotherapies.Pharmacology, Biochemestry, & Behavavior. 2019; 179: 34-42
- Methadone for pain management: A pharmacotherapeutic review.CNS Drugs. 2020; 34: 827-839
- The Patient Health Questionnaire Somatic, Anxiety, and Depressive Symptom Scales: A systematic review.General Hospital Psychiatry. 2010; 32: 345-359
- Double-blind trials in hyperbaric medicine: A narrative review on past experiences and considerations in designing sham hiyperbaric treatment.Clinical Trials. 2018; 15: 462-476
- IBM computer usability satisfaction questionnaires: Psychometric evaluation and instructions for use.International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction. 1995; 7: 57-78
- Daily sleep quality affects drug craving, partially through indirect associations with positive affect, in patients in treatment for nonmedical use of prescription drugs.Addictive Behaviors. 2017; 65: 275-282
- Pain and addiction: An integrative therapeutic approach.Medical Clinics of North America. 2018; 102: 745-763
- Injectable naltrexone, oral naltrexone, and buprenorphine utilization and discontinuation among individuals treated for opioid use disorder in a United States commercially insured population.Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment. 2018; : 90-96
- Hyperbaric oxygen treatment suppresses withdrawal signs in morphine-dependent mice.Brain Research. 2016; 1648: 434-437
- Associations between stopping prescriptions for opioids, length of opioid treatment, and overdose or suicide deaths in US veterans: Observational evaluation.BMJ. 2020; 368: m283
- Suicide: A silent contributor to opioid-overdose deaths.New England Journal of Medicine. 2018; 378: 1567-1569
- Sleep improves when hyperbaric oxygen therapy administered before and after methadone dose reduction for adults with opioid use disorder [abstract].in: Society for Neuroscience 2019 Meeting, Chicago, IL2019 (October 19-23, 2019. Society of Neuroscience Abstract, 45, 502.03 (2019))
- Clinical efficacy and safety profile of lofexidine hydrochloride in treating opioid withdrawal symptoms: A review of literature.Cureus. 2019; 11: e4827
- Lofexidine for acute opioid withdrawal: A clinical case series.Mental Health Clinician. 2020; 10: 259-263
- Development and validation of an interpretive guide for PROMIS scores.Journal of Patient Reported Outcomes. 2020; 4: 16
- Hyperbaric oxygen effects on pain and withdrawal symptoms in adults with opioid use disorders [abstract].Pain Medicine. 2020; 21: A443
- Comorbid chronic pain and opioid use disorder: literature review and potential treatment innovations.International Review of Psychiatry (Abingdon, England). 2018; 30: 136-146
- Managing pain in the setting of opioid use disorder.Pain Management Nursing. 2020; 21: 26-34
- New directions in the treatment of opioid withdrawal.Lancet. 2020; 395: 1938-1948
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy: A new treatment for chronic pain?.Pain Practice. 2016; 16: 620-628
- Nonpharmacological treatments of insomnia for long-term painful conditions: A systematic review and meta-analysis of patient-reported outcomes in randomized controlled trials.Sleep. 2015; 38: 1751-1764
- Concurrent validation of the Clinical Opiate Withdrawal Scale (COWS) and single-item indices against the Clinical Institute Narcotic Assessment (CINA) opioid withdrawal instrument.Drug Alcohol Dependence. 2009; 105: 154-159
World Health Organization (WHO), (2020). Opioid Overdose. Retrieved March 28, 2022, from https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/opioid-overdose.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). (2020). Overdose deaths and the involvement of illicit drugs. Retrieved March 28, 2022, from https://www.cdc.gov/opioids/overdoseprevention/treatment.html
Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society. (2021). Chamber directory. Retrieved March 28, 2022, from https://www.uhms.org/resources/chamber-directory.html.
- Use and misuse of opioids in chronic pain.Annual Review of Medicine. 2018; 69: 451-465
- The Clinical Opiate Withdrawal Scale (COWS).J Psychoactive Drugs. 2003; 35: 253-259
- Pain interference influences hyperbaric oxygen treatment response during opioid dose tapering.Pain Management Nursing. 2021; 22: 232
- Hyperbaric oxygen to assist adults with opioid use disorder in reducing methadone dose.Journal of Addictions Nursing. 2022; 33: 27-36
United States Food and Drug Administration (U.S. FDA). (2021). Hyperbaric oxygen therapy: Get the facts. Retrieved March 28, 2022, from https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/hyperbaric-oxygen-therapy-get-facts.
- Development of short forms from the PROMIS Sleep Disturbance and Sleep-Related Impairment item banks.Behavioral Sleep Medicine. 2011; 10: 6-24
- Treatment outcome comparison between telepsychiatry and face-to-face buprenorphine medication-assisted treatment for Opioid Use Disorder: A 2-year retrospective data analysis.Journal of Addiction Medicine. 2017; 11: 138-144